The Friends of Northampton Racecourse

Your park in the heart of Northampton

social_facebook_box_blue social_rss_box_orange social_twitter_box_blue FoNRlogo

The history of Northampton Racecourse has a film project underway.

Follow this link for more information.

  • 1701 First Flat horse racing recorded on  Freeman’s Common ( the Racecourse )

  • 1714-1818 Gallows ground was the site of Public executions

  • 1778 The Enclosures Act – Freemen graziers have to allow two race meetings  a year on the Racecourse ground

  • 1800 Growing importance of the Racing in front of large crowds

  • 1847 Royal Agricultural Society of England Show held on the Racecourse

  • 1874 Northampton County Cricket Club play important fixtures on the Racecourse ground

  • 1882 Northampton Corporation Act, Corporation acquires Common Land in Northampton. Racecourse declared a place of general recreation

  • 1903 Barnum’s Wild West Show with Buffalo Bill- William F Cody

  • 1904 Horse Racing license withdrawn by the Jockey Club, racing  ceases

  • 1909 Mayor opens the new Bowling greens close to  Racecourse Pavilion building

  • 1914-1918 Army Camp established with tented accommodation for men and horses 35 acres ploughed up for growing food (allotments)

  • 1921 War Department grant of £14,350 for the restoration of the Racecourse

  • 1938 95 communal air raid shelters built around the Racecourse

  • 1940-1946 Talavera army dispersal Camp constructed

  • 1952-3 The last buildings of the Army camp demolished and the Park fully restored

  • 1974 International Heat  of “ Jeux en Frontieres” (It’s a Knockout)

  • 1990 First Northampton Balloon Festival

  • 1990 The Friends of Northampton racecourse formed

About The Racecourse

 

Link button